Today, let’s talk about “Me and My Household”
My Word of the Year is Intentional. As I began looking for a verse that I might claim, I kept finding verses where messengers of God said, “But as for me…” I thought, “These people are intentional in their lives. I want that”. So we will start looking at these scriptures. I have some friends helping me out and they are already stepping on my toes.”
Let me introduce a new friend, Barb Hegreberg…
“But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living.
But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”Joshua 24:15
Don’t get me wrong, I am as attached to my devices as anyone else in the western world but sometimes I just wish we could go back to a simpler time.
- A time with rotary phones.
- A time when we looked forward to going to the mailbox to find a letter from our pen pal.
- A time when children addressed all adults as Mr. or Mrs.
- A time when we had conversations over the back fence and knew all our neighbors.
- A time when most people we knew were members of a local church.
Do you remember those days?
- We drank from the hose.
- … played outside all day.
- … riding bikes without a helmet, didn’t wear seatbelts, and rode willy-nilly in the back of pickup trucks.
- We can barely recognize our neighbors by sight and know even fewer by name.
- We communicate electronically and rarely send handwritten notes.
- We carry computers in our back pockets.
- We have become a nation of overweight sedentary people who avoid outdoor activities.
…the saddest part of this metamorphosis is that every year fewer and fewer people are attending church on a regular basis. The documentary, When God Left the Building does a much better job at analyzing the trend away from church than I ever could.
I will close by saying, it doesn’t matter what the rest of the world does, “as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15 NIV)
We even have it posted above our front door.
Thank you Barb for this encouragement to stand firm in serving the Lord. God will definitely bless that who stand for Him.
I am a wife and mother with 2 adult children. I am a jail chaplain and a preschool bus driver. I believe that God has a unique plan for each of us so my blogging philosophy is to write what God tells me to write when He tells me to write it.